Posted on June 20 2016
What exactly is pigmentation and why does it happen?
Hyperpigmentation is a common and usually harmless condition in which patches of skin become darker in colour than the normal skin tone.
Pigmentation can be caused due to genetics, sun exposure, fluctuating hormones, external elements like stress, pollution etc.
Prevention and cure:
- Always apply sunscreen with minimum SPF of 30+ before stepping out.
- Eat right, include antioxidants in your diet.
- Consult a doctor and discuss options for treatments like chemical peels, micro-derma abrasions and laser.
Some home remedies:
- Peel an avocado, mash it up and apply the paste on pigmented area
- Mix half a spoon of lime juice with one a spoon of honey, apply the mixture on the face and leave on for 10 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water
- Take a raw potato, grate it and squeeze the juice out. Apply the juice on the face, leave for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
NOTE: Home remedies do take time to show improvement, so we request you to be patient while trying out these remedies.
If you follow these remedies in your daily routine you will see a considerable difference in the pigmentation within three to four weeks.