Posted on August 21 2015
Does the thought of putting the perfect eyeliner make your palms sweaty?
Do you believe girls with the perfect eye liner have magical powers?
Read on below to know how to put the perfect eyeliner every single time with MSM Beauty Squad's member - Shaz. Shaz is a complete water baby and loves everything as long as it is pastel. Makeup expertise is somewhere between beginner and intermediate and she therefore completely understands most of your make up woes. A big proponent of exfoliating, she loves puppies, cupcakes and talking about history.
“Eyeliner speaks louder than words”
"Eye liners need no introduction. All of us know that they're the less popular cousin of our favourite kajal, pulled out on days when we want to glam up or just do something different. We all know the struggle of getting the perfect winged liner and ending up looking like a panda when it's just not our day.
Eyeliners usually come in three popular varieties - gel, pencil and liquid. Beauty experts say they prefer the gel and liquid varieties, albeit for different reasons. When looking for something quick and easy they recommend opting for a liquid liner whereas if you're looking for precision, intensity and versatility - a gel liner is more suitable.
The first time I saw myself with eye liner on was when a friend of mine did my eyes before a college formal. Up until then, I'd only envied girls who had the perfect eyeliner on. Soon after, I borrowed eyeliner from my sister and spent days practicing infront of the mirror. Although I prefer liquid liners over any other kind, Komal Narang, beauty & lifestyle youtuber, from My Happinesz claims that “A gel eyeliner is easy to use and gives you a lot of control over how thin or thick you want to style your eyeliner look.”
How to get started on putting an eyeliner
- Don't be scared to practice, you will not get it right in the first go (and if by a stroke of luck you do get it right, chances are you won't be able to repeat the same thing on your other eye).
- Clean your eye lid and dab just a little bit of eye primer.
- Stretch your eye lid towards your temple with the index finger of your less dominant hand (if you're a righty, your less dominant hand is your left hand and vice versa).
- Hold the applicator of the eyeliner with your dominant hand like you'd hold a pencil.
- Rest the elbow of your dominant hand on a flat surface (i.e. Your dresser, your bathroom counter).
- Holding the applicator tight and draw a line as close to your lash line as possible.
- If you feel like your hand is shaking, rest the pinkie finger of your dominant hand on your cheekbone while applying the eyeliner
- Step back, look at your eye from a distance and fix up any irregularities before moving on to the other eye.
- Repeat the process in the other eye.
- We'll repeat the first tip once again - DONT BE SCARED TO PRACTICE. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your eyeliner skills. Don't worry if you don't get it right in the first try, or the second, or the third.
- Use baby oil or eye makeup remover on a cotton pad or at the end of a Q-tip to remove your eyeliner in a quick, easy manner.
ColorBar's Ultimate Eye Liner
What I love the most about this product is that it requires no dipping, dabbing or shaking- almost like a really fine sketchpen- all you have to do is make sure your hand doesn't shake and draw a line where you want it. The color is quite pigmented and stays put. However since it is not waterproof it comes off quite easily when washed (another thing I loved about it when I used to practice - it didn't make me feel quite as bad when I'd wash it off repeatedly).
This product has been a staple in my make up bag and even while I was living overseas, I'd carry a few pieces of it from India. If you're a beginner or even if you're a pro - give this one a try for a fuss-free, easy, quick eyeliner application.
I hope this helped you in mustering up the courage to give eyeliner a go!"
If you'd like Shaz or the rest of the beauty squad to help you out with other make up tips & tricks, do comment below!