Posted on June 27 2015
The MSM Beauty Squad is here to give you honest, heartfelt reviews on all the beauty, skin care and life style products you want to try. Acquaint yourself with who we are and then read on to know what each one of us has to say about the pick of the week- Avène's three step Cleanance Kit- which includes the Cleanance Gel, Cleanance Mask and the TricAcneal.
What are we reviewing?
Monsoon is officially here and much as we love the pitter patter of the rains, it completely wrecks havoc with our skin ( and hair) care regime. Dont be confused if you find that your staple skin care products don't seem to work as effectively during this season. Keeping in mind the trials and tribulations monsoon brings, the beauty squad decided to review a new skin care regime by a trusted brand.
This week, the Beauty Squad is reviewing a wholesome skin care regime, Avène's 3 Step Cleanance Kit. The three step cleanance kit includes Avène's Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser, Cleanance Exfoliating Absorbing Mask and the TriAcnéal.
Although the MSM Beauty Squad reviewed this kit over the course of a week, Diva will give you a comprehensive review at the end of the month. So keep following us!
How much does it cost?
- Avène Cleanance soapless gel cleanser (200ml) is Rs 1,100
- Avène Cleanance exfoliating absorbing mask (50ml) is Rs 1200
- Avène triAcnéal (30ml) is Rs 1350
Intro to product or product category:
Avène is a unique French dermo-cosmetic brand dedicated to each level of skin sensitivity; from sensitive, intolerant to allergic. Each product contains the Avène Thermal Spring Water - a unique ingredient whose properties have been endorsed by dermatologists over the years.
Avène launched in in India a couple of years ago and has won various beauty awards including the best derma brand award. The Cleanance Mask has also won numerous beauty awards (including the Elle Beauty Award in 2013).
How it works -
All Avène products contain Avène Thermal Spring Water. Originating as rain, the water filters through the Cévennes Mountains absorbing precious minerals and trace elements for 40 years until it reaches the mouth of the ancient Sainte-Odile spring. Its unique composition makes Avène Thermal Spring Water ideally suited for the care and management of sensitive skin. Over 300 stringent biological, pharmacological and clinical studies on Avène Thermal Spring Water have been conducted by the Company and independent researchers to substantiate its skin soothing and anti-irritating benefits.
A good cleansing routine is absolutely essential for healthy looking skin and the Avène three step cleanance kit just does that. Although the Cleanance range is specifically developed for oily skin, it has specific ingredients to cleanse and purify the skin and to reduce sebum production which makes it perfectly adapted for the increased humidity during the rainy season. Read Avène's easy step guide (with pictures, yay!) to know how to use each product to its maximum potential:
Avène Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser:
- Moisten your skin and apply Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser morning and evening.
Avène Cleanance Exfoliating Absorbing Mask:
- Apply the mask to your entire face, preferably on dry skin or slightly damp skin.
- Leave on for 5 minutes.
- Dampen your hands and make light, circular movements then rinse thoroughly.
- Dry gently.
- Cleanse your face with Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser and dry gently.
- Apply Triacnéal evenly on your face in the evening.
- Avoid the eye contour and the lips areas
And What does the Product Claim?
Since we reviewed three different products (as part of the three step cleanance kit) below are the individual product claims of each:
- Avène Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser is paraben free and claims to gently cleanse your skin, leaving it feeling refreshed. It also contains Glyceryl Laurate that regulates excess sebum and mattifies your skin. It also contains Avène Thermal Spring Water which soothes, softens and instantly soothes the skin.
- Avène Cleanance exfoliating, absorbing mask is also paraben free and claims to erase, eliminate impurities and tighten pores.
- Avène triAcnéal, like the other two products, is paraben free and claims to help eliminate severe imperfections while smoothing the skin
What we thought:
Overall, the squad had a positive experience with the Avène's three step Cleanance Kit.
Read on to know what each one of us had to say about the regime.
- Diva (Oily Skin): First up, I love the cleanser. It leaves my skin feeling fresh and has a mild fragrance to it. A little goes a long way with this amazing soapless cleanser cause it really does foam up. I love how my skin feels after using it.
I applied the mask for 10 minutes as directed. Smelt a bit medicinal to me especially after all the natural products we have been testing! That aside, the exfoliation with the micro beads was super mild and my skin felt really fresh after wards.
As far as the TriAcnéal goes, I will have to update you girls on this at the end of the month. I have acne prone pigmented skin and the TriAcnéal is touted to be excellent for my skin type. I will come back with a detailed review of it once I'm done using it for at least a month. It is not smooth to apply due to its thick texture and I did notice a mild residue on my face after I left it on.
- Kat (Dry Skin): I have dry skin and was a bit sceptical about how this three step process would work on my skin type. I was definitely NOT looking forward to that taut feeling left behind by most cleansers which are formulated for oily skin. Maybe it was due to the impending monsoons and the high humidity levels, but the gel cleanser was a delightful surprise. Just a teeny dab of it was enough to wash my face after a long day which ended in a 3 kilometer walk with the dog in the humidity outdoors. My face was glowingly fresh and clean. I am definitely planning to use this all through the monsoon months, and will also try it during the less humid months to see how effective it is for my skin type at that time. Stay tuned for more on this.
The Cleanance Exfoliating Mask was step two after the face wash. It felt soothing and calming on the face. I let it dry for 10 minutes, and then moistened it before gently scrubbing it off my face - loved how the micro beads exfoliated without irritating. I exfoliate very sparingly since most scrubs tend to leave a trace of irritation and unwanted redness on my skin, but the Cleanance Mask was very gentle.
The TriAcnéal is probably the least needed of the three steps in the regime for my skin type. I have luckily never suffered from acne or breakouts all my life so am probably not the most ideal candidate to test this. However, never being one to step back from testing a new product, I applied the TriAcnéal to areas on my face which are prone to a spot of redness (on my forehead between my eyebrows) and will report back if repeated applications help to target this issue. This product will require 5-6 weeks of use before showing the desired results.
- Shaz (Combination Skin): Avène is a brand I have used in the past, however this cleanance kit was new to me. Before I tell you what I thought, I must point out that my skin is going completely CRAZY this monsoon. My t-zone is oilier than ever but there are really weird dry spots around my nose and lip area. Also, I feel like the skin in my hands is that of a 90 year old woman if one was to take into account the amount of flaking I have between my fingers.
Anyhow! To start with, the soapless gel cleanser is amazing! You only need a teeny amount to lather it up really well and I know for sure that my 50 ml portion is going to last for a long, long time. My skin feels so refreshed after I use it and there's absolutely no dryness or tightness afterwards. It probably is the best face cleanser I have used. I will definitely be looking to purchase a full size one once I finish this (which will be a long time away cause seriously, I used like a tiny pea size amount for each wash)
I used the Avène Cleanance Exfoliating Absorbing Mask right after cleansing my face and applied it liberally to my face and neck. It does have micro beads (for the exfoliation later). I left it on for about five minutes after which I removed the mask from the apple of my cheeks (cause I did begin to feel a little tingly there). I left the mask on for another five minutes and then gently massaged with my damp fingers. This felt so good, I could literally feel those micro beads working under my fingers.
Finally, I applied the TriAcnéal to my face. The TriAcnéal is very thick so it was a little bit of an effort but my skin absorbed it right away and left a matte finish.
Overall, my skin felt so smooth, even toned and fresh after the regime was over I couldn't help but stare. This regime gets a big thumbs up from me. I love it and will definitely be purchasing the full size versions of all three! My recommendation is to try this out this monsoon and see how it works for you. I'm pretty sure you'll love it if you have combination skin like mine.