Posted on May 27 2015
Fun GAP trivia you need to know before the 30th of May!
Ever since GAP announced that it is coming to India in August last year, we've been waiting with bated breath to step foot inside one of our favourite stores of all times! For those of you not so familiar with the brand we're bringing you all the info you need to be a GAP pro by the time the store opens in Delhi on the 30th of May, 2015.
Read on to know fun facts about GAP.
- Gap was founded in 1969 by Donald Fisher and Doris Fisher and operated under the name The Gap.
- The name came from growing differences between children and adults, also referred to as the “generation gap”, which reached its peak with the hippie movement then.
- Gap operated under the name “The Gap” when it first started. Look at these cute vintage ads we found!
- The notion that Gap stands for Gay and Proud is an urban myth, cropping up from time to time.
- Gap owns various sub brands (excluding Gap kids, Gap Maternity, babyGap & Gap Body) such as Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime and INTERMIX among others. Talk about an impressive portfolio!
- In 1996, Sharon Stone pulled out a charcoal Gap turtleneck and paired it with a Valentino trumpet skirt and wore it to the Oscars! OMG! The look still features in almost all unforgettable Oscars ensembles and the casual elegance explains why. She wore Gap once again in 1998 at the 70th Oscars, pairing a crisp white Gap cotton shirt with a Vera Wang skirt!
- In 1998, Gap promoted it's line of Khaki line of clothing with a visual effects laden revival of swing music and dance. The thirty second ad featured khaki-trouser wearing dancers doing the lindy hop. This commercial is half responsible for everyone wanting to swing dance and we can totally see why. Excuse us for a moment while we go and attempt to recreate this commercial with our besties.
- Over the years, Gap has had Orlando Bloom, Josh Duhamel, late Mary J. Blige, Madonna , Missy Elliot and * hold your breath * Sarah Jessica Parker endorse the brand!
Watch the ad here
- In 2013, Banana Republic tied up with Janie Bryant (popular American TV show Mad Men's costume designer) to release a special, limited edition Mad Men line. The collection was launched just in time to coincide with the show's sixth season launch and garnered massive success. Well why wouldn't it? Look at those prints!
- During Christmas of 2010, Gap introduced a new logo on their Faceboook page only to take it down within six days. Apparently, Gaps fan's hated the idea of a brand they have so closely been associated with for years to change it's brand identity. However, alls well that ends well, but here's a picture of the ill-fated Gap logo that made a cameo appearance in Gap's retail history.
- Gap is all set to make it's India entry on the 30th of May at Select City Walk, Saket. We'll be standing in queue. See you there!
(Images: Pinterest, MSM original images)