Posted on May 03 2016
The Met Gala traditionally kicks off the month for those in the know in fashion. So it was with bated breath that we pored over our Instagram feeds to see who wore what and how!
The theme for this year's Gala was "Manus x Machina", celebrating fashion in the age of technology and the dress code was "Tech White Tie"!
We were sure metallic numbers would be a plenty - and we were not disappointed - but one special creation from the House of Marchesa had us completely bowled over.
Marchesa in collaboration with the IBM's supercomputer "Watson" came up with what can be called a "cognitive" dress - the tech company incorporated cognitive tools into the garment creation process which help in relating images and color themes to human moods and emotions.
Watson was fed hundreds of images related to Marchesa creations based on which the supercomputer suggested colour pallettes in line with the brand and with the 5 human emotions selected.
This collaborative process continued onto the selection of the actual fabrics used for the outfit.The final cognitive thread so to speak was the use of Watson's Tone analyzer, which taps into the social media buzz around the outfit and causing the dress to change colour in real time based on the tone of the messages. This was achieved by the use of LED lights embedded into the dress!
If that was not exciting enough, the flowers & petals on the dress were handcrafted by artisans making the gown the ultimate combination of handmade and technology together.
The dress was unveiled on supermodel Karolina Kurkova on May 2nd at the Met Gala and elicited a satisfactory number of oohs and aahs from onlookers! We have to say we are not surprised!
Other noteworthy creations that caught our eye were:
1) Zoe Saldana in a Dolce & Gabbana creation with a dramatic flowing train
2) Blake Lively hid her baby bump in this ethereal Burberry confection:
3) Cindy Crawford and Kylie Jenner in Balmain ; Taylor Swift in Louis Vuitton
4) Homeland star Claire Danes in a Cinderella worthy Zac Posen gown trimmed with fiber optic lights
5) Emma Watson showing her quirky sense of style in a Calvin Klein ensemble created in collaboration with the Green Carpet Challenge